Monday, June 4, 2007

Mini-Moon

I admit, I am procrastinating in doing a summary of my wedding. It seems too daunting a task to summarize something I have been waiting my entire life for! I get writer's block any time I imagine condensing such a magical evening. So, I fast forward on to my mini-moon.
DH and I decided to postpone our honeymoon and stay at the resort where we were married for a few days for a mini-moon. We hope to go on our real honeymoon in September (more on that another time). So we stayed at Sanibel Harbour Resort & Spa for a few days after the wedding to relax and enjoy our first week as husband and wife. It was a little unusual since the resort was in our home town; however, hundreds of thousands of people flock to our beaches for their honeymoons or vacations each year, so why not try to view the place we grew up in the eyes of a tourist? I highly recommend doing this if you live in a tourist oriented area. It really allowed us to appreciate restaurants and little spots on the beach more as a visitor than we ever had being a resident.


Here is our favorite spot on San-Cap Beach. Poor DH got so sun burnt that he was out of commission for all sun-based activities for the remainder of the trip. Bless his heart though! He stuck it out like a champ because he knew I was having fun. We brought along a little picnic with us and it made for a wonderful day! You can see hubby-poo in the background wanting nothing to do with my picture taking shenanigans.




My main purpose in this post though is to share with you the spirit of Captiva Island! The second you set foot on the island you get a perma-smile. Everyone is strolling around with a beer in their hand and a smile on their faces. One evening, we went to my favorite restaurant of all time! The Mucky Duck! The main lure of this restaurant is that it is on the beach. It is, hands down, the BEST place to watch the sunset. On any given evening, The Mucky Duck is packed during sunset. Don't get discouraged by the long wait or the huge crowds. It really thins out after sunset.

It feels as though the entire island gathers there to watch the sun set every evening. They wait and wait and watch and take pictures. And when the sun finally goes down, everyone claps with such joy as though they were afraid the sun wouldn't make it! Every time I go, I feel like it is the first time witnessing the togetherness of everyone and the happiness surrounding the event. I even got all teary, because it is such a silly thing...to applaud the sun for setting. But it really is beautiful and you can't help but beam with happiness at witnessing the beauty of a Captiva sunset.

Going....


Going...

Gone.


See how happy we are?


Just because my husband's hot!

(See the ring on his finger? Isn't it sexy?)




And just because I can, and because I have another cute dress on.


1 comment:

Sarah Gemba said...

You are too cute for words. Clapping for the sunset--I love it!